Monday, February 27, 2012

Rude Experience at my Observations



This semester I am taking Infant/Toddler and Kindergarten Curriculum. Part of the grade is to observe 10 hours in Infant/Toddler and 15 hours at Kindergarten. I have been observing each semester for one class I take and I have never come up against a rude person like this center director before.
I will not go into details to what the circumstances are regarding her behavior but this director simply speaks with attitude towards the students that come to observe in her daycare center. It turns out I was not the only one who had issues with her, but I am partly responsible for her sending an email to our teacher and the dean of the university claiming that we, the students have been unprofessional in her center. 
We were cut off from observing for a week until we discussed the issues with our teacher today. Apparently the center director sent out the email and in result got our teacher in trouble. After discussing the issues that arose from the perspective of the center director (that made us unprofessional in her eyes) it was concluded that there was a huge mis-communication and certain expectations that the director thought we should follow but never mentioned to us on the first place. Apart from the mis-communication, however I still would say she was simply rude and there was no need for her to behave the way she did. So as far as being unprofessional I would say she needs to look at herself and how the whole situation reflected herself. 
However this post is about my reflection and not hers. I was upset at her rudeness towards me and did end up giving her attitude back (which is probably what caused the follow up email to our teacher and dean). 
My intention was to speak up for myself but I guess it turned out to be out of reaction to her rudeness so the consequences were getting everyone in trouble. We were advised from our teacher (who saw our side and certainly knew this director's personality) to simply follow the requested directions and avoid confrontations that would end up hurting our "school record" reputation that we are evaluated on every semester. 
Part of the lesson learned here is that when there is broken communication and assumptions the results cannot be good. The other part of the lesson was to see if it is worth speaking out in that particular moment when the position I hold is put in jeopardy because someone with more "power" can ruin my semester and grade simply because I acted out in defense. Perhaps a smarter decision would be to speak out when my school record does not depend on what this woman says about me. A third lesson is that speaking out of a reaction will cause the other person (who does not know any better) to react as well. So my approach in standing up for myself should have been without reacting to her.


http://wiki.destonians.com/Main_Page (who we are, what we do)
http://desteni.org/ (investigate topics of interests and self)
http://equalmoney.org/ (place your vote for Equal Money System)
http://eqafe.com/ (purchase products and support Equal Money System)

No comments:

Post a Comment