Sunday, May 29, 2011

Meeting Bambi

Last week James, I and his friend went "fishing" about an hour away from home. We got to the place and there were a lot of people on the main spot so we decided to go wonder up the river and woods areas. The deeper we went the more muddy it got. At some point I decided to take off my shoes and just step in the mud. I figured a nice mud "bath" would go well for my feet...LoL. Soon after James did the same.
The experience of the mud on my feet was interesting. It felt squishy, soft and cold, sticky and actually enjoyable. I carried my shoes in one hand, the bag on my shoulders and had NO fear of getting dirty...haha
We never found a good spot for fishing and the river curved around so we decided to head back. We put our shoes on and instead of going back the same way decided to cut through the high grass field. At first the grass was short and it gradually became higher and higher. I felt like I was in a jungle , there was no selected path, we had to make it ourselves. I was following James (shortly behind him) when I stumbled upon a baby deer to my right. He would have probably missed it, but I was looking at my feet and what I was stepping on or in...
At first I jumped up because I was not expecting to see anything but grass. I froze for a second as I processed what I am seeing in front of me. As soon as I realized it was a deer, I expected it to get up and run. The baby deer did not even know we were there. It was sleeping, curled up in the high grass, cool to the ground. I had my camera, I took it out and moved some of the grass. It heard me move the grass so it looked up at me, i took the picture. It was not afraid of me. It just laid there on the ground, innocent, probably expecting to see the mother. We left it alone and kept moving.
When I got home I wanted to research if it was typical for mothers to leave their babies unattended. I was worried that the baby might have been abandoned. It turns out that mothers leave their young ones in high grass areas for the daytime, while keeping an eye on them from far away. If they see that their young one is in potential danger they will moved them to a different spot.
It was an interesting day as I realized this was probably going to be the closest I would ever get to a deer in my life. I wanted to pet it, but I was not sure if the mother would leave it. Some animals in the animal kingdom do that, because of human scent.


http://wiki.destonians.com/Main_Page (who we are, what we do)
http://desteni.org/ (investigate topics of interests and self)
http://equalmoney.org/ (place your vote for Equal Money System)
http://eqafe.com/ (purchase products and support Equal Money System)

No comments:

Post a Comment