Saturday, October 15, 2011

What is Process?

Process is about taking steps forward and working on "drafts"=bettering self  step by step.
In my writing class we wrote a creative biography on a person. I wrote mine on my mom. What was interesting is that we wrote the biography in "process" of several drafts before submitting the final draft. Each week we had writer's workshop in class where we explored the different ways of writing this type of biography. Each of our drafts began like a typical biography with facts about the person and events that took place within a specific accomplishment. Then we were told that we had to add dialogue, metaphors, similes, spice it up so instead of telling what was happening we had to show what was happening. We had to bring out the "picture" to life through our words. Each draft was "better" than the last one. I enjoyed this process of writing.
A couple of days ago I was driving in my car and the word "draft" came up together with the word "process". I looked at myself within those words and saw that I have always expected immediate results for myself. I would sit down and draw and be eager to finish the drawing that same day or hour. I would write a poem and expect to finish it within the same day or hour. When writing a poem I used literal words that sound boring, just like my first draft of TELLING rather than SHOWING. That is why I was never satisfied with what I wrote, what I drew, what I created. My starting point was that of impatience, always in a hurry to complete a project rather than take my time and explore the project, explore myself as the project. When in a hurry one misses the essentials of what is being done, how it is being done and why. I realize that I stay on one stop rather then move forward with the idea that I am moving forward because I jump from place to place which puts me all over the place. I notice this with the task I assign myself to do as well. I would have 5 different tasks for example (laundry, homework, dishes, walk outside...) and I freeze not knowing where to start. I start one and jump to the next one and the next one, never finishing the previous one and at the end of the day I have 5 different tasks done half ass.
So this is a point to work on for sure.
Process is many drafts written step by step :)


http://wiki.destonians.com/Main_Page (who we are, what we do)
http://desteni.org/ (investigate topics of interests and self)
http://equalmoney.org/ (place your vote for Equal Money System)
http://eqafe.com/ (purchase products and support Equal Money System)

No comments:

Post a Comment