Thursday, September 29, 2011

Writer's Notebook and Journal



In resent lesson in my literacy and writing class we discussed the idea of a writer's notebook.  A writer's notebook is something a person can carry around with them and record anything that is of interest, that has been observed or occurred. It is like a sketch book but in words. It is different than a journal or diary because it is meant to collect information which may be used later to be elaborated and taken at deeper level. At class we were required to pick a notebook and decorated (as in make it "ours"-personalized it). The one I did I did not particularly enjoy because I was not serious about making it my writer's notebook, it was rather an objective of the class requirements. It was interesting for me to learn that all writers keep a writer's notebook and collect pieces of writings which later is extended to create books.
A week later I came across a notebook someone gave to me recently and I was not sure what to do with it. I saw it as the perfect "my" notebook. I decided to start using it for a mixture of a writer's notebook and a journal, to write down ideas and insights I come across during the day time so then i can later elaborate and share in a blog. I chose this as a form of assistance to my writing because throughout the day I often will have small realizations which later on I will not remember because of other things occurring throughout the day. 
I also find it useful to write down on paper first and then transfer to the laptop. For the longest time I had an inner debate to which method is more effective and both have their pros and cons, so I have decided when possible/necessary to use both.  
This is a cool way for children to learn about writing and sharing themselves, so in future it is something I would definitely introduce to my child and the children I will be teaching.


http://wiki.destonians.com/Main_Page (who we are, what we do)
http://desteni.org/ (investigate topics of interests and self)
http://equalmoney.org/ (place your vote for Equal Money System)
http://eqafe.com/ (purchase products and support Equal Money System)

No comments:

Post a Comment